Surgical technologists are members of the operating room teams, which include the surgeon(s), anesthesiologist and circulating nurse. They primarily fulfill the first scrub role and help to prepare the operating room by setting up sterile surgical instruments, equipment and supplies, such as drapes, gowns, gloves, suction tubing, and receiving solutions and medications from the circulator. Surgical technologists assemble the sterile equipment, check to ensure it is all working properly and make adjustments as necessary.
They assist the surgeon with putting on his/her gown and gloves and assist in placing the sterile drapes on the patient to create the sterile field. During the surgical procedure, the surgical technologist is responsible for anticipating the needs of the surgeon by passing instruments and providing needed supplies such as sponges, performing counts of the instruments and the sharps, receiving tissue specimens to be passed off to the circulator and ensuring there are no breaks in sterile technique.
Students in the Surgical Technology Program learn to be allied health professionals who work in the surgical suite delivering patient care. They ensure the operating room environment is safe, the equipment functions properly, and the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety. Surgical Technologists are the surgical team’s experts in aseptic technique.
Training at MATC will focus on:
- Surgical Technology Basics
- Microbiology and Infection Control
- Surgical Techniques
Prerequisites, locations, schedules, costs and other requirements.
- Applications will be available May 15-June 15, 2017.
- Due to the competitive nature of this program, all tuition must be paid in full two weeks prior to the start date of this program if you are accepted.
- MATC Surgical Technology Program Certificate
- Healthcare Provider BLS and First Aid Certificate
- Students will be prepared to take the National Board of Surgical Technologists and Surgical Assistants (NBSTSA) Certified Surgical Technologist Exam (anticipated date of December 2016)